Following is a summary of the March 21, 2023, City Council Meeting. To watch the meeting, visit www.hudson.oh.us/WatchMeetings.
- Council entered executive session to interview an applicant for the Military and Veterans’ Commission.
Approval of Minutes
- The minutes of the 3/7/2023, 2/21/2023, and 3/14/2023 council meetings were approved 6-0.
Following are individuals who spoke during the Public Comments Section. Click on this link to view the comments made during the meeting: www.hudson.oh.us/WatchMeetings.
- League of Women Voters invited residents to a roundtable on Climate Threat to Hudson April 12, 2023. This is the second roundtable on this topic.
- Representative from Save Summit Strays, petition needs 22,000 signatures to get an issue on the ballot to allow volunteers back into the Summit County kennels because Animal Control is understaffed and to increase the hours back to what they were like pre-pandemic.
Correspondence and Council Comments
Click on this link to view the Council Comments in their entirety. www.hudson.oh.us/WatchMeetings.
- Comprehensive Plan Steering Committee met last week to review the proposed survey questions.
- Council members and staff reached out to federal and state officials regarding safety regulations regarding Norfolk Southern Railroad, as well as about current Hudson projects submitted to Norfolk.
- The Economic Growth Board recently reviewed plans for local business workshop, and will present their goals to Council soon.
- Council congratulated the Lacrosse team for their recent win.
- Council thanked all the applicants for the Military and Veterans’ Commission. We had over a dozen applicants for the 5 openings.
- The Mayor thanked Girl Scout Troop 9154 for their tour of City government and the Fire Museum and Mason, Ryan, Colt, and Lucas in the Hudson Schools 6th grade class for the act of kindness and support of the community.
- The Birdsong art installation is coming the Hudson April 29. It is a multi-faceted public art installation featuring 50 birds, hand painted by local artists, that will be installed in trees downtown. For more information visit www.hudson.oh.us/Events.
Report of Manager
- The City Manager thanked all the Council members who reached out to federal and state officials regarding Norfolk Southern.
- An application was submitted to Senator Brown and Representative Sykes last week regarding the Nicholson Drive waterline project.
- The Park Board narrowed down the selection of a site for the Inclusive Playground and will present it to Council on April 11.
- Council will be on recess for the next two weeks.
- Feasibility Study Request for a Second Redundant Electric Feed to the Allstate Insurance Company Facility. This feasibility study will review the best option to supply a redundant feed to the Allstate Insurance Company facility, reviewing costs, and the option that would also provide the most benefit to our system and other customers within this area of Hudson. Below $25,000. Agreement and re-appropriated later in the year, reimbursement.
- Motion to appoint members to the Military and Veterans Commission for staggered terms: Nathan Cook (one year), Bill Lockwood and John Liesen (2 years), John Niemczura and Ben Baran (3 years). Passed 6-0. Motion to appoint Chris Banweg as council liaison to the Commission. Passed 6-0.
Council passed the following Consent Agenda items. Passed 6-0.
- Motion to acknowledge the timely receipt of the February 2023 Monthly Financial Report.
- Resolution to advertise for bids and enter into a contract for the 2023 Guardrail Replacement Program.
- Resolution to apply for an Ohio Department of Transportation Updated to the Safe Routes to Schools Travel Plan, and if selected, enter an agreement for the project.
- Resolution to approve Then and Now Certificate.
- Ordinance to enter into contracts for the purchase of three vehicles for the Public Works Department.
- Resolution urging the Legislative Branches of the Federal Government as well as the State of Ohio to enact legislation to increase rail safety and oversight.
- Resolution approving the application for placement of land in a current agricultural use district for Darlyne Roller, 696 Terex Road. Third reading. Passed 6-0.
- Resolution to approve the application for placement of land in an agricultural district for Clyde Rardin, 2790 Ravenna Street. Second reading. Motion to suspend and pass. Passed 6-0. Motion to approve. Passed 6-0.
- Resolution to approve the application for placement of land in an agricultural district for Joyce Kuryla, 1975 & 1983 Norton Road and 1936-1940 Georgetown Road. Second reading.
- Resolution to approve the application for placement of land in an agricultural district for Vincent Roman, 7005 Walters Road. Second reading.
- Resolution amending Resolution No. 22-112 to increase the project cost to complete the SR 91 Bridge Replacement Project and authorizing the City to serve as the local public agency and authorizing funds. Second reading. Motion to suspend rules and pass due to construction timeframe. Passed 6-0. Motion to amend and substitute a revised version on March 14, 2023. Passed 6-0. Motion to pass as amended and substituted. Passed 6-0. Motion to pass. Passed 5-1.
- Resolution amending Hudson’s Volunteer Fire and EMS Department Length of Service Award Program. First Reading
- Resolution to enter into a professional services contract with TRC Environmental Corporation for demolition and hazardous material mitigation at 94 Owen Brown. First Reading.