In April (weather permitting), we will begin final construction on the $4.8 million North Main Street Improvement project that includes replacements of aging infrastructure and improvements to the streetscape in front of the stores. Our goal is to cause as little disruption as feasible for merchants and shoppers. We appreciate your patience as we finish the construction and unveil a new look for Main Street.
Final construction items from Park Lane to Clinton Street will be continued, and construction will begin on the north section from Clinton Street to Owen Brown Street. Two-way traffic and access to store entrances will be maintained at all times during the project. The target end date is the end of July 2017.
Help out our Main Street merchants by shopping local during construction.
Park Lane to Clinton Street
- We will maintain entrances to the Main Street stores at all times as we work on final construction items in this section of North Main.
- Two-way traffic will be maintained at all times. Diagonal parking will be maintained, although at times, some parking spaces may be closed due to construction. Parking is available behind the stores or on East Main Street and Church Street.
- This final phase will include installation of street lights, sandstone pavers, a sidewalk and retaining wall on the Gazebo Green, and new trees. The trees will be a mixture of London Plane (Exclamation) trees and Accolade Elm trees.
Clinton Street to Owen Brown Street
- We then will be moving north, performing similar construction items as we did last year. These include sewer, electric and irrigation systems, tree wells and trees, and sidewalks and curbs.
- Entrances to the stores will be maintained throughout the construction.
- Entrances to the alley behind the stores and the driveway on N. Main that goes back to the alley will be maintained throughout construction.
- Parallel parking in front of the stores will be converted to diagonal parking, adding one additional parking space. To do this, the parking spaces in front of those stores will not be accessible during much of the construction.
- Clinton Street will be closed for approximately two weeks. The closure will extend west to before the alley behind the Main Street stores. Access to both back alleys to the store will remain open. Park Lane will remain open when Clinton Street is closed.
- Aurora Street will be closed for approximately three weeks at the N. Main Street intersection to before E. Main Street.
- Owen Brown Street will be closed for approximately three weeks during the construction period.
To receive email updates on the North Main Street construction progress, sign up at the link below.