Light your home using the same amount of light for less money.
- An average household dedicates about 5% of its energy budget to lighting. Switching to energy-efficient lighting is one of the fastest ways to cut your energy bills. By replacing your home's five most frequently used light fixtures or bulbs with models that have earned the ENERGY STAR, you can save $75 each year.
- For more information on the types of light bulbs and how each will say you money, go to Lighting Choices to Save you Money.
- Use a heavy-duty, clear plastic sheet on a frame or tape clear plastic film to the inside of your window frames during the cold winter months. Make sure the plastic is sealed tightly to the frame to help reduce infiltration.
- Install tight-fitting, insulating drapes or shades on windows that feel drafty after weatherizing.
- Find out about other window treatments and coverings that can improve energy efficiency.
Adjust Your Thermostat
- When you are home and awake, set your thermostat as low as is comfortable.
- When you are asleep or out of the house, turn your thermostat back 10° to 15° for eight hours and save around 10% a year on your heating and cooling bills.
Lower Your Holiday Lighting Cost
- Use light emitting diode (LED) holiday light strings to reduce the cost of decorating your home for the winter Holidays.
Energy Efficiency Programs
EcoSmart Choice Program EcoSmart Choice program is a "green pricing" program offered through American Municipal Power, Inc. (AMP), of which the City of Hudson is a member. All Hudson Public Power (HPP) customers can help to reduce their carbon footprint and provide a cleaner, healthier, and safer energy supply by supporting this renewable energy program. For more information, please go to EcoSmart Choice Energy program.
Want to enroll?
HPP customers can enroll through the EcoSmart Choice website. HPP customers can only enroll at 100%.
Home Energy Audit There are many resources available to see how energy efficient your home is. Below are a few helpful resources:
- Energy Star's Home Energy Yardstick, a simple assessment of your homes annual energy use
- Department of Energy Home Audit provides information for professional and Do-it-Yourself home energy audits.
- Department of Energy's Home Energy Save Tool, many resources to save electric use, water, heat and cooling and changes to design.
- Department of Energy's Appliance and Electronic Usage Tool, an appliance energy calculator
Fun for Kids
Want to be an Energy Star Kid? Learn more about renewable energy, solar energy and other ways to save our planet through energy saving tips, fun facts, games and trivia through the Energy Star's kids link.