N. Main Street Improvement Project
Winter Work Suspension
All lanes and parking on North Main Street are now open. A winter work suspension is now in place. Occasional utility work in January and February may be performed with minimal disruptions, weather dependent.
Thank you for your continued patience throughout this project as we work to improve North Main Street.
Questions about the construction project, staging or equipment?
Feel free to call our Engineering Department with questions or concerns about this project at 330-342-1770.
What is being done?
An Improvement project for North Main Street Downtown Corridor between SR 303 and Owen Brown Street is currently being performed. The project includes infrastructure improvements and a fresh new look, including new lighting and sidewalk/pedestrian areas, improved crosswalks, landscaping including street trees and planters. With the assistance of AMATS funding and an ODNR Grant, The Ohio Department of Transportation will resurface North Main Street as part of this project. For more project details, visit our story map.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long will the project last?
Most of the construction will be completed this year, with some of the final work being finished in early 2017.
- Full pavement replacement
- New overhead crosswalk signals and improved crosswalk designs
- New textured sidewalk and pavers
- New light design
- Diagonal parking
- Street trees, benches, planters, landscaping
Much of the work will be done at night, with possible periodic lane closures after 8 p.m. During the day, traffic will be maintained, but the lanes will shift for construction which may cause traffic delays. Truck detours will begin during Phase 2. The best way to stay informed is to sign up for our Road Construction Updates and receive email/text messages about lane shifts or closures and other issues that might arise during construction.
Will I be able to visit my favorite North Main Street store?
Yes! Sidewalk access to the stores and businesses will be maintained at all times.
Will parking in front of the North Main Street stores be available?
While the diagonal parking areas in front of some of the stores may be closed for a period of time, access to all other public parking areas will remain open.
What will happen to the sandstone sidewalks and curbs?
The approximately 20 square feet of sandstone sidewalk will be removed and stored for possible future use. The sandstone curb will be removed and replaced back into its place as part of the project. Curbing that is cracked or damaged will be removed.
Where's the best place to go to stay up to date on this project?
There are several ways to stay informed.
- Website. Check this website page for updates.
- Story Map. Click on the visual story map at the top of this page that provides detail about the construction, timeline, features and more or click here.
- Social Media. For real-time updates on the construction and its impact on traffic, follow us on social media.
- Road Construction Updates. Sign up to receive our Road Construction updates for real time traffic alerts regarding this project. Sign up here.
- Merchant Updates. If you are a merchant, business, or property owner in the downtown area, sign up for weekly updates specific to how this project may impact your business. To sign up, click here.
- Visit HCTV.
- Visit the City's YouTube Channel.
Yes, the events on the green will be held as scheduled. For even information, visit our Community Calendar.