Prior to 1849, the bucket brigade and wet blankets were the only means to fight fires. In 1849 Hudson organized the first volunteer fire department in Summit County. Later that year, a two-wheel hose cart was pulled by 16 men to battle a blaze. Hudson and North Akron handled all the firefighting in Summit County until 1886 when other departments began forming.
In 1859 Hudson purchased a horse drawn pumper, the first in Summit County. When the bell sounded, a team of horses pulled the engine; if no horses showed up the firefighters would pull the engine. It took 16 men to operate the hand pumper. This was in service until 1911.
In 1915 the Village of Hudson purchased a Rambler Touring Car and mounted two forty gallon chemical tanks on the back. This served as the only fire engine until later years when various other trucks were purchased to better serve the community.
The department has grown steadily over the years to meet the expanding needs of our community. Today the department has three full-time fire inspectors and 28 volunteer firefighters. The community is protected by seven major pieces of fire apparatus and enjoys an enviable Class Four protection rating.